Here’s a letter we sent today to Councillor Qadri and colleagues at City Hall, outlining our concerns around the upcoming closure of Johnwoods Street between Huntmar and Maple Grove:
While we understand that the closure of Johnwoods is inevitable, residents still have a number of questions and concerns that must be addressed before the closure. Thanks to our neighbours who contacted us with feedback over the past couple of weeks.
UPDATE: Councillor provided this response on Wednesday afternoon: “I would like to thank you and the Fairwinds Community Association for providing your detailed comments and questions regarding this project. The City will be considering all comments and I will be sharing the responses to the questions/comments raised through my eNewsletter in the coming weeks.”
UPDATE: Councillor Qadri published responses to some of our questions today on his web site:
There have been requests for a delay to the closure and at this time there are no plans to delay the closure of the road. It is anticipated that this entire project will be completed by the end of June 2018.
Linear Park Design Comments:
- Some residents have requested an extension to the comment deadline for the design details of the park. The deadline for design comments has been extended until November 30th, 2017.
- Following the deadline of November 30th, comments will be consolidated and reviewed. Responses and any revisions will be posted in my eNewsletter.
- Residents have raised concerns with some of the road conditions in the area. Santolina and the portion of Rosehill within the Fairwinds West subdivision is complete with top lift of asphalt. Top lift on the remaining portion of Rosehill is estimated for summer 2018 due to continuous work on the Poole Creek subdivision. The barricade on Rosehill will be open without the top lift being completed. A request has been placed with Tartan to help fix some of the potholes near Rosehill and Warmstone to provide a better driving condition.
- There have been inquiries regarding the classifications of roads in this area and on the map it notes that Maple Grove Road is a Major Collector Road and that the southern portion of Johnwoods and Rosehill are classified as Collector Roads. A reminder that an extensive list of all road classifications in Stittsville is available on the “Ward Maps” section of my website under the “Community” header or by clicking here.
- Rosehill and Santolina were designed to accommodate transit service and this was also noted in the purchase and sales agreements of the homes on these streets.
Rosehill Traffic Calming:
- Rosehill Drive will have traffic calming measures installed on the street. Please see the map available here, showing the location of the permanent and temporary traffic calming measures planned for the street.
- The long term permanent plan is to have traffic calming chicanes installed on the street. These will be installed once the entire street receives the top lift of asphalt in 2018. The final design for these is in the process of being completed and will be shared with the community once complete.
- In the interim, by November 8th there will be flex stakes placed in 5 locations on Rosehill Drive. These will remain in place until the snow falls this season and if necessary will be re-installed in the Spring 2018 before the chicanes are installed.
Traffic Counts for Johnwoods
- Transportation staff are reviewing the traffic data submitted by the community. This data is being compared to the City’s existing data as well as data which I contracted to have done on the street. The City’s Transportation Department has also recently taken a traffic count during Ottawa Senators home games and this data is currently being processed.
Closure Notice Signage
- Portable visual messaging signage (PVMS) has been installed in a number of locations as of November 2nd to advise commuters of the road closure.
Update to Mapping Programs
- The City’s mapping program will be updated and the City has also been in contact with mapping agencies such as Google Maps.