Category: Board Notes

Annual General Meeting – March 1, 2017

Join us on Wednesday, March 1 for our Annual General Meeting.
We’re meeting from 7:30pm-8:30pm in the Sobeys Kitchen on Carp Road.

  • Meet your neighbours
  • Learn how you can get involved in events and activities in our neighbourhood in 2017
  • Prize draw for “Lamitta’s Wish” wine basket fundraiser
  • Join our volunteer board of directors
  • Memberships $5

Interested in joining as a volunteer board member? Email us at info@fairwindscommunity.com


Draft Agenda

1. Call to order
 
2. Approval of agenda
 
3. Approval of 2016 minutes
 
4. President’s report
 
5. Treasurer’s report
  • Motion to direct the Treasurer to recommend suitable options to move $1,000 from our operating account into an investment account.  The Treasurer will report back to the board of directors at the April board meeting for approval.
6. Constitution amendments
  • Motion to update Section 6 and Section 9 of the constitution as follows:
    Section 6: Add a new item (5): “The positions of President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer shall be selected by members of the Executive Committee at the first Executive Committee following the AGM”
    Section 9: Alter item (6), replacing the first sentence as follows: “The Executive Committee may include up to six (6) Directors at Large.
  • Motion to update the Fairwinds Community Association boundary as described in Appendix “A” as follows:
    “The boundary of the Fairwinds Community Association and its membership shall include the area as shown on this map, encompassing the Fairwinds, Fairwinds North, Fairwinds West, and Poole Creek Village housing developments, as well as adjacent commercial developments along Huntmar Road and Hazeldean Road.”
    (map to be attached)
7. Nominations & voting for new board members
 
8. Councillor Shad Qadri update
 
9. Prize draw for Lamitta’s Wish wine basket fundraiser

10. New Business / Open Discussion
Followed by meet & greet

 

Fairwinds Community Association Constitution Amendments

To be tabled at our March 1 Annual General Meeting.
Please send any comments to president@fairwindscommunity.com

Motion to update Section 6 and Section 9 of the constitution as follows:
Section 6: Add a new item (5): “The positions of President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer shall be selected by members of the Executive Committee at the first Executive Committee following the AGM”
Section 9: Alter item (6), replacing the first sentence as follows: “The Executive Committee may include up to six (6) Directors at Large.

Motion to update the Fairwinds Community Association boundary as described in Appendix “A” as follows:
“The boundary of the Fairwinds Community Association and its membership shall include the area as shown on this map, encompassing the Fairwinds, Fairwinds North, Fairwinds West, and Poole Creek Village housing developments, as well as adjacent commercial developments along Huntmar Road and Hazeldean Road.”

Fairwinds community map and boundaries

August 8: Monthly FCA Meeting

Our next Fairwinds Community Association meeting is Monday, August 8 at 7:30pm at the Stittsville CIBC Boardroom at 5527 Hazeldean Road.

It’s a light agenda this month. We’ll spend the bulk of our time talking about our two big summer events: the movie night on August 12 and the summer BBQ on September 10.  We also hope to have an update about traffic calming on Rosehill, and we’ll talk about an initiative to add a special dog waste bin to Bandmaster Park.

All neighbours are welcome. If you want to get involved in any of our activities or have a community concern to discuss we’d love to see you. Please RSVP to info@fairwindscommunity.com

 

Five things from our June monthly meeting

Five things from last night’s Fairwinds Community Association meeting:
 
1. Flex stakes will be installed sometime this year on Rosehill between the roundabout and Maple Grove. They’re designed to slow down traffic on that stretch of road. (see below)
 
2. Maple Grove will be closed east of Huntmar this Saturday, June 18 for pole relocation.
 
3. We’re planning two movie nights this summer, one in July and one in August. We are looking for event sponsors and volunteers; please contact info@fairwindscommunity.com if you can help.
 
4. We got an overview of the City’s new “Community Association Liaisons (CAL) Program” from a planner.
 
5. Councillor Qadri is hosting a Father’s Day pancake breakfast at Village Square Park on Sunday morning (Stittsville Main @ Abbott)
Draft plan for Rosehill traffic calming
Draft plan for Rosehill traffic calming

June 13: Monthly FCA Meeting

Our next Fairwinds Community Association meeting is June 13. Our special guest will be Melissa Jort-Conway, the new Community Association Liaison (CAL) assigned to Fairwinds. She’ll give an overview of the CAL Program and what her role will be in ensuring information flows between the FCA and the city.

FAIRWINDS COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION
Monday, June 13 @ 7:30pm
Stittsville CIBC Boardroom at 5527 Hazeldean Road

 

  1. Approval of Agenda

 

  1. Approval of Minutes from April & May meetings

 

  1. Introduction – Melissa Jort-Conway, City of Ottawa Community Association Liaisons (CAL) Program

 

  1. Councillor’s Update (Councillor Qadri + Staff)

 

  1. Membership
    – Open discussion – ideas to action

 

  1. Events
    – Garage Sale recap
    – Other summer events
  2. Advocacy
    – Development update
    5371 Hazledean site plan – retirement complex;  5705 Hazeldean revised plan of subdivision – Shoppers at Fairwinds
    – Dog waste bin
    – Pedestrian Crossovers (PXO)
  3. Outreach
    – Volunteers
    – Community signage
  1. Other business
    – Vacant board position
    – New business

 

Next board meeting: Monday, July 11 7:30pm. Location tbd.

We’re looking for a volunteer to join our board…

We’re looking for one more volunteer to join our board of directors!

We meet once a month to discuss community issues, organize events and activities, and work to make Fairwinds an even greater place to live.  Time commitment is approx 2-3 hours per month over the year, and no previous experience is required. Due to a recent vacancy, we have one position open at this time that renews in February 2017.

Please send us a note if you’d like to join: info@fairwindscommunity.com

 

MAY 16: Fairwinds monthly meeting; special topic “NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH”

Neighbourhood WatchOur next FCA monthly meeting is on Monday, May 16 at 7:30pm in the Community Kitchen at Sobeys (Carp Road).

The theme for this month is “NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH”.

Special guest will be Chad Wagar, a resident on Tempest Avenue where they’ve set up a successful Neighbourhood Watch program.  Chad will talk about how they got it going, and the benefits they’re already seeing in their part of Fairwinds.  If you’ve ever wondered about what Neighbourhood Watch is all about, here’s a great opportunity to ask questions and learn from your neighbours.

For more info email info@fairwindscommunity.com or call 613-299-3776.

AGENDA: 

FAIRWINDS COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION
Monday, May 16 @ 7:30pm
Stittsville Sobeys Community Kitchen (Carp Road @ Hazeldean Road)
1. Approval of Agenda

2. Approval of Minutes from April meeting

3. Neighbourhood Watch

4. Johnwoods Closure

5. Membership
– Summary of brainstorm ideas

6. Events
– Garage Sale June 4
– Other summer events

7. Advocacy
– Development update
– CTC road closure signage
– Dog waste bin

8. Outreach
– Volunteer
– Community signage

9. Councillor’s Update

10. Other business

 

Summer events, Huntmar + Maple Grove, more

Quick recap of last night’s Fairwinds meeting:

Summer Event dates:
– Garage Sale: Saturday, June 4
– Community BBQ: Saturday, September 10
– Outdoor movie nights: dates tbd; if we have enough volunteers we’d like to do one in June, July & August
– Gardening seminar/workshop – tbd
– Anyone interested in co-ordinating a “best landscaping” or “best garden” contest?  Let us know: info@fairwindscommunity.com

Cleaning up the Capital:
– Residents are planning a clean-up at Tempest Park on Saturday, April 16 @ 10:30am
– We encourage all residents to get some neighbours together, pick a park, and register on the City web site for a clean-up.
– Let us know about your clean-up event: info@fairwindscommunity.com and we’ll share the details

Traffic news:
– Councillor Qadri says the Huntmar & Maple Grove intersection won’t be painted until at least the first week of May. They need a) warmer temperatures b) street sweeping to occur
– Rosehill won’t be opened all the way until 95% of construction is done for the Poole Creek/Fairwinds West subdivisions; Councillor Qadri has asked that traffic-calming measures be built into the initial design

Next meeting:
– May 16 (note change of date): Monthly meeting, theme: Neighbourhood Watch